How Long Does It Take To Rank For Local SEO?
At MarkUBiz there is one question that comes up often, and that question is “How long does it take to rank in local search?”
This question is very important as the answer will tell you a lot about the company that you are working with. If a “SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Company” claims they can get you to Page 1 within a day or week and they are not talking about Pay-Per-Click Advertising, then you should be skeptical.
Understanding Local SEO
Here is an article that BrightLocal released on the local SEO subject. They surveyed 18 SEO Companies and looked at the topic in five scenarios. (You can view the article by clicking here: http://www.brightlocal.com/2014/07/29/long-take-rank-local-search/?utm_source=All+customers+%28active%2C+cancelled%2C+trial%2C+trial+expired%29&utm_campaign=d5ebd8529c-Weeklyupdate_03_08_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_42b9d9fc11-d5ebd8529c-75785421)
- Brand New Business
- An Existing Website With Some Optimization
- An Existing Website With Poor Optimization
- A Site Is With Manual Penalty
- An Existing Client Stops Investing In SEO
This is a good variety of scenarios and will give you a ballpark if you are currently spending money on local SEO or are looking at investing in local SEO.
Please read the article for more details, but here are some points made that I would like to highlight:
- The competition level of your industry makes a huge difference in how fast you will see results.
- Your current situation will definitely impact the speed at which you see results. (if you are looking for an average the article suggests a minimum of 3 months to see results and 6 months to see significant results)
- If you are penalized by Google it can take over 6 months to start showing up again and an additional 1-6 months to return to prior penalty rankings.
- If you stop your SEO program you can expect your results to stay consistent for a month or two, but then to start dropping off.
How We Analyze And Tackle Local SEO
At MarkUBiz we see very similar results to the above, however, it is important to note that ranking in local SEO is truly a case-by-case basis.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments about these projections.
Have a great day!